Monday, January 24, 2011

Triage

401 days until Jubilee. I've looked over The List and finally realized I am not going to be able complete all those projects. Yeah, I know: it's obvious. But when you're carrying so many projects around in your head for years and you're allowing for them all to be completed 'some day' it comes as a shock to realize you're going to have to prioritize and cut something somewhere.
 
When I started this project, things were pretty black and white: whatever I don't complete is out of my life forever. Gone. Fini. Kaput. But when I started to think about what this really means I started to back peddle. Maybe I could have a sub-list for things to finish later? But that defeats the purpose of this exercise which is to be free of all the burdens I've taken on. On the flip side, however, I don't want to deny myself a project simply because it wasn't completed in 2011. (Wait a minute. If I finish it, it's done and if I don't finish it, I'm through with it.... am I saying that after 2/29/12 I must have completely new ideas?!)

I was chasing my tail on this one when He had a suggestion: after the Jubilee return to only those projects that interest you.

Why didn't I see that?

And so starts the prioritizing. Top of the list is any gift I've ever promised or started for someone. The feeling I want most to avoid on February 29 is the gooey dripping guilt of a broken promise. I'd rather get none of 'my' projects done than have to admit that Barb will never be getting her xmas ornament or Wilda will have to do without her pineapple pillow. The point is to come away from this experience feeling lighter and freer and that's not going to happen if I'm carrying guilt around.

That was the simple part. Now comes the tough part: actually completing the projects. I know that to get this done I'm going to have set deadlines and a schedule and stick to them both. I'm not so good at that. I've always preferred to work on projects as the mood struck me and, if I found myself up against a deadline, to forgo sleep and push through until I'm done. That's fine once in a while but I have too much to do to let that happen. A little every day for the next 401 days and with any luck I'll finally be able to give everyone their presents.


1 comment:

  1. I wonder...would help to have someone working on projects with you? Not necessarily on *your* projects, mind (though if I am capable, I'd be willing to help), but just having someone in the room being industrious on their own stuff? I find being busy/creative is infectious.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete